Michael Jackson Who Is It
Vuoi reagire a questo messaggio? Crea un account in pochi click o accedi per continuare.

Boatehc:Ho visto come tabloid hanno distrutto la vita di MJ

Andare in basso

Boatehc:Ho visto come  tabloid hanno distrutto la vita di MJ Empty Boatehc:Ho visto come tabloid hanno distrutto la vita di MJ

Messaggio Da szwaby82 Mar Feb 07, 2012 9:37 am

Szwaby82 Inviato: Mar Lug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

I saw what tabloid life did to Michael Jackson. Now it's happening to Britain

Britain has traded credibility for celebrity. As Michael Jackson's rabbi, I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

'Michael Jackson was doomed to a life of empty celebrity incarceration when, in truth, he so badly wished to dedicate his renown to a cause larger than himself.' Photograph: Dan Chung for the Guardian

Ten years ago I tried to extract Michael Jackson from the hell of a tabloid life. Nothing hurt him more than being referred to as Wacko Jacko, something he told me originated in the British tabloids. And it is worth mentioning, now that we have commemorated the second anniversary of his death, that the mountain of pills he regularly swallowed and which eventually killed him was an effort, more than anything else, to muzzle the pain of being treated as a joke.

Michael believed he had a serious message to share, that children were special and innocent and the world had a responsibility to prioritise them and preserve their goodness. But he also understood that with the two boys alleging that he had acted indecently, though he was never convicted, his credibility had been irreversibly shattered. He was therefore doomed to a life of empty celebrity incarceration when, in truth, he so badly wished to dedicate his renown to a cause larger than himself. This lesson – that fame is nice, but credibility is everything – has strong resonance for modern Britain, a country I arrived in at the age of 22, where I spent 11 years of my life, and where six of my nine children were born.

While living in Britain and serving as rabbi to the students of Oxford University, I slowly noticed a change taking place. I still remember the day in 1994 the Oxford Union – once the most celebrated debating society on Earth – invited Kermit the Frog to be one of its speakers. This was before Britain became synonymous with the origin of reality TV. It was before stories about John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, and Ryan Giggs trumped the reporting on Britain's laudable efforts in Libya. When I lived in the UK, serious newspapers were not yet published as tabloids and a strict line separated thoughtful journalism from scandal saturation.

That seems to have changed. I used to sit in awe as I watched young Oxford students and British politicians at the union eviscerate each other with a command of language that had little parallel in anything I had witnessed in the United States. It inspired me to speak and write better. But I was, sadly, not all that surprised when I asked a recent Oxford graduate who was the most memorable speaker he has heard at Oxford over the last few years and he responded: "Martin Sheen."

Yes, we Americans have trash TV and our own celebrity scandals. We have politicians who self-destruct and supermarket tabloids that assure us Elvis is still alive and married to Princess Diana. But that world still seems cordoned off – for the most part – from the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Harvard and Yale. The UK, however, has allowed some of its leading institutions to go tabloid and obsess over sensationalism.

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows, I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.

Ho visto come i tabloid hanno distrutto la vita di Michael Jackson. Questo adesso sta succedendo in Inghilterra.

La Gran Bretagna ha scambiato credibilità per celebrità. Come rabbino di Michael Jackson, ho visto quanto sia pericolosa la fama.

Dieci anni fa cercai di allontanare Michael Jackson dall'inferno dei tabloid.
Niente di fatto, male più che essere indicato come 'Wacko Jacko', qualcosa che inventò in origine proprio un tabloid britannico. Ed è degno di nota, ora che abbiamo commemorato il secondo anniversario della sua morte, che la montagna di pillole che regolarmente ha ingerito e che alla fine lo hanno ucciso è stato uno sforzo, più che altro, a superare quel dolore di essere trattato come un "pagliaccio".

Michael credeva di avere un messaggio serio da condividere, che i bambini erano speciali e innocenti e il mondo aveva la responsabilità di definire la loro priorità e preservare la loro bontà.
Ma ha anche capito, a causa di due ragazzi che sostenevano di essere stati molestati, anche se non è mai stato condannato, che la sua credibilità era stata irrimediabilmente frantumata.
E 'stato quindi condannato ad una vita di prigionia dorata quando, in verità, per colpa della sua fama che è stata più grande di lui e gli ha causato tanto male.
Questa è la lezione - che la fama è bella, ma la credibilità è tutto - ha forte risonanza per la moderna Inghilterra, un paese dove arrivai all'età di 22 anni, dove ho trascorso 11 anni della mia vita, e dove sono nati sei dei miei nove figli.

Mentre vivevo in Gran Bretagna, come rabbino insegnavo agli studenti dell'Università di Oxford e lentamente ho notato questo cambiamento in atto.
Ricordo ancora un giorno nel 1994, la Oxford Union - una volta la società più celebre nel dibattito sulla Terra - invitò Kermit ad essere uno dei suoi oratori.
Quella fu la prima volta che la Gran Bretagna diventò sinonimo dell'origine del reality.

E 'stata la prima a raccontare storie inventate su John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, e Ryan Giggs nonostante i lodevoli sforzi della Gran Bretagna in Libia.
Quando ho vissuto nel Regno Unito, i giornali seri non erano ancora stati nominati come 'tabloid' e c'era una rigorosa linea di separazione tra 'giornalismo riflessivo' e 'saturazione dello scandalo'.

[...] Noi americani disponiamo di TV spazzatura e scandali delle celebrità. Abbiamo politici che si autodistruggono con tabloid da supermercato che ci assicurano che Elvis è ancora vivo e sposato con la principessa Diana.
Ma quel mondo sembra ancora transennato - per la maggior parte - dal New York Times, il Wall Street Journal, Harvard e Yale. Il Regno Unito, tuttavia, ha permesso ad alcune delle sue principali istituzioni di dare importanza a notizie su tabloid ossessionati dal sensazionalismo.

La Gran Bretagna è la più grande nazione altamente istruita ed influente.
Ha liberato gli schiavi nei suoi decenni prima dell'America e ha guidato l'esercito per salvare il mondo da Hitler.
Ora ha scambiato serietà e credibilità per gossip sulle celebrità.
Avendo a volte nella mia vita fatto l'errore di premiare oltre le mie aspettative, non sono qui per giudicare.
Il "signori" lo sanno, ho servito come rabbino Michael Jackson e frequentato, a volte, il mondo delle celebrità, ho sperimentato quanto sia bello sentirsi famosi.
Ma vedendo quello che i tabloid hanno fatto alla vita di Michael, ora li evito come la peste.

guardian.co.uk
szwaby82
szwaby82

Torna in alto Andare in basso

- Argomenti simili